Ray Law International

Temporary Work Visa

Chicago Temporary Visa Lawyer

How Do I Get a Temporary Worker Visa in the USA?

If you wish to enter the United States from another country to work a temporary job, you need to obtain a temporary worker visa. This type of visa is also known as a nonimmigrant work visa.

A wide variety of temporary worker visas are available, depending on your specific circumstances. Differentiating between the various types of employment visas can seem daunting, and it’s wise to consult an attorney who is experienced in immigration law to help you navigate the process.

Are you looking to get a temporary worker visa in the USA? Contact Ray Law International today to start discussing your options. 

Different Types of Temporary USA Worker Visas

To obtain a temporary work visa, the U.S. employer you intend to work for must petition U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Having this petition approved is necessary before you can initiate the process of applying for any type of temporary worker visa in the USA. 

You can explore the various types of temporary worker visas on the U.S. Department of State website.

What Are Possible Steps or Obstacles?

Acquire Labor Certification

Some temporary work visas may require your expected employer to obtain a labor certification from the Department of Labor. This certification would need to be granted before filing the Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, Form I-129, with USCIS.

Await Petition Approval

Be aware that some temporary worker visa categories are limited in the total number of petitions that can be approved annually — if the quota for the particular type of visa you’re applying for has been reached for the year, your petition may not be authorized.

If your petition is approved, your anticipated employer will receive a Notice of Action, Form I-797 from USCIS.

Ready to get started on the temporary worker visa process? Don't hesitate to contact Ray Law International today.


How Do I Apply for a Visa?

After the USCIS approves the Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker (Form I-129), you can apply for a visa. It’s a good idea to consult the website of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you intend to apply for a clearer understanding of what the process will look like, but generally, the process follows certain guidelines.

Where Can I Apply for a Visa in Chicago?

Using the official U.S. Embassy website, you can find an embassy or consulate near you.

  • PLAY

The Process for Applying for a USA Visa

Schedule an Interview

  • Check with the embassy or consulate where you intend to apply to confirm that an interview is required.
  • Generally, interviews are required for individuals between 14 and 79 years old.
  • Strive to apply for your visa early, as wait times for interview appointments can be longer at certain locations.

Get Ready for Your Interview

  • Read the instructions for interview preparation on the website of the embassy or consulate where you’ll apply.
  • Pay fees (A non-refundable visa application fee may be required. You may also have to pay the Fraud Prevention and Detection fee and Border Security Act fee.)

Collect Required Documentation

  • Passport (must be valid for at least six months beyond your time in the U.S.)
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page
  • Application fee payment receipt
  • Photo (that was required for DS-160)
  • Receipt number for your approved petition (You can find this on your completed Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, Form I-129, or Notice of Action, Form I-797.)
  • L Visa Applicants (L Visa applicants must bring Form I-129A, Nonimmigrant Petition Based on Blanket L Petition.)
  • Proof of ties to your home country to show that you plan to return there after your temporary stay in the U.S. (You can show documents that attest to a residence in your home country, familial ties, finances, or future plans.)

Attend interview

  • A consular officer will decide if you meet the requirements to receive a visa.
  • Digital fingerprint scans will be taken.
  • You’ll be notified if further administrative processing is needed in your application process.
  • Using the U.S. Department of State website, check visa processing times.

Contact us online or call (888) 474-8048 to speak with our Chicago temporary work visa attorneys at Ray Law International.

  • “Anthony is very friendly and helpful. He is very knowledgeable and answered all my questions” - Asit
  • “Anthony does not just ask questions, but really provide analysis and potential best solution.” - Qian
  • “strongly recommend this Law firm for anyone who is looking for quality results an at affordable rate.” - Pete T.

Call Us Today

The attorneys at Ray Law International are committed to providing clients in the United States and abroad with effective, innovative immigration solutions. We find fulfillment in advocating for our clients by helping them understand the immigration process and reach their goals. We offer services in English, Spanish, and Japanese.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.