Ray Law International

Green Card Through Marriage

Marriage & Family-Based Green Cards in Chicago

Helping Clients With Marriage & Family-Based Green Cards in Illinois

There are multiple ways to get a Green Card in the United States (such as employment), but one of the most common is through a family member or spouse. While the Green Card process might seem straightforward, any mistake in the process could seriously damage your ability to obtain permanent resident status.

With the experienced immigration lawyers at Ray Law International, you can have a dedicated team by your side throughout the Green Card process to ensure your application is accurate, to make sure you meet all deadlines, and to file an appeal in case your application is denied.

Contact our Chicago green card lawyers today at (888) 474-8048 to arrange a consultation with us.

Family Sponsorship for U.S. Green Cards 

It’s common for U.S. immigrants to become permanent residents through a family sponsor. If you are seeking to obtain a green card, the waiting process will likely be shorter the closer your relationship is to the person sponsoring you.

In order to apply for a green card as an immediate relative, you must meet the following criteria:

  • The spouse of a U.S. citizen;
  • The unmarried child under 21 years of age of a U.S. citizen or
  • The parent of a U.S. citizen (if the U.S. citizen is 21 years of age or older).

Other relatives can apply for a family-based green card based on specific family relationships. However, they are given less preference than immediate family members.

Eligibility for Sponsoring a Relative's Green Card

You can sponsor a family member to obtain their green card under the following circumstances:

  • You’re a green card holder.
  • You’re a U.S. citizen.

As a sponsor for a family member seeking to acquire a green card, you may also be referred to as a “petitioner.”

Understanding the Marriage Green Card Process

When someone refers to a "marriage green card," they are typically talking about the process of a foreign national marrying a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and then applying for permanent residency (Green Card) based on that marriage. The marriage is the qualifying relationship that allows the foreign spouse to seek lawful permanent residence status in the United States.

How to Get a Green Card Through Marriage

Getting a Green Card through marriage is one of the simple immigration processes and usually involves the following three steps:

  • Establishing the marriage relationship by filling out Form I-130.
  • Applying for the Green Card or Permanent Residency with Form I-485 if the spouse is already in the U.S. or going through consular processing if the spouse is still living outside the country.
  • Attending a final interview with USCIS.

If your application is approved, you will receive your Green Card in the mail. If, for any reason, your Green Card was denied, you should contact Ray Law International right away. There may still be time to appeal the decision by USCIS.

Navigating the complexities of the U.S. immigration system to obtain a green card can be a daunting task. We can help you by:

  • Personalized Consultation and Eligibility Assessment: The journey to obtaining a green card begins with a thorough understanding of your eligibility. We will conduct an in-depth consultation to assess your qualifications based on family relationships, employment, asylum, or other grounds. This initial step is crucial to identify the most appropriate and viable pathway for your green card application.
  • Detailed Documentation and Application Preparation: Accurate and complete documentation is necessary for a successful green card application. We will guide you through the intricate paperwork, ensuring that all forms are correctly filled out and supported by the necessary evidence. We meticulously review your documents to prevent any errors or omissions that could delay or jeopardize your application.
  • Experienced Legal Representation and Advocacy: Throughout the green card application process, having a knowledgeable advocate on your side can make a significant difference. We will represent you in all interactions with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), providing timely responses to any requests for additional information and addressing any concerns that may arise. We are committed to advocating for your best interests and ensuring that your case is presented favorably.
  • Preparation for Interviews and Hearings: Many green card applications require an interview or hearing before an immigration officer. We will help you prepare thoroughly for these crucial meetings, offering guidance on what to expect and how to present your case effectively. We conduct mock interviews and provide strategic advice to boost your confidence and readiness.
  • Continuous Support and Updates: The green card process can be lengthy and complex, with various stages and potential hurdles. We provide continuous support, keeping you informed about the progress of your application and any developments that may affect your case. We are always available to answer your questions and address your concerns, ensuring that you feel supported and informed throughout the entire process.
  • PLAY
  • “I could not imagine finding a better firm to help me” - Peter-John
  • “Anthony is a kind, knowledgeable, and hardworking attorney” - Elisheva Mosko
  • “He shed light on some questions that I had no idea how to even go about asking.” - Bahlinga

Contact Our Green Card Attorney in Chicago Today

Securing a green card is a substantial step towards achieving your American dream. Whether you are applying for a green card based on family sponsorship, employment, or other eligibility criteria, having a skilled and experienced attorney by your side can make all the difference. At Ray Law International, we are committed to providing exceptional legal services to individuals and families in Chicago seeking permanent residency in the United States. Don’t navigate the complexities of the green card process alone. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward a brighter future.

The Chicago green card lawyers at Ray Law International are ready to discuss your case today. Call our office at (888) 474-8048 to arrange a consultation!

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy